Changing Java

View some of the Frequently Asked Questions to our support staff. Included are some tips and tricks making this forum ideal for users getting started with GoAnywhere MFT. Note: Users can reply to existing topics but only our support staff can add new topics to this forum.
1 post Page 1 of 1

Support_Philip

Site Admin

Post by Support_Philip » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:52 am
GoAnywhere MFT – Java Requirements, Considerations and Changing JAVA_HOME.
All installations of GoAnywhere MFT on Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, and IBM i require a JRE (Java Runtime Environment) of 1.7 or later. The JRE is included in GoAnywhere MFT Windows and Linux install packages. The following considerations are helpful when switching from the provided JRE or when using an installer that does not include one.

Most operating systems support running multiple versions of a JRE at the same time, and GoAnywhere MFT can be configured to run on any JRE that is version 1.7 or later. Here are some helpful instructions for each operating system when configuring GoAnywhere MFT to run on a different JRE.

JCE Policy Files
The unlimited strength JCE policy files must be copied to the JRE’s security folder in order to support encryption functions in GoAnywhere MFT. These policy files are required in order to allow GoAnywhere MFT to start up properly.

For Windows and Linux platforms, copy the JCE policy files of US_export_policy.jar and local_policy.jar from the jce_policy_files/oracle/1_x folder (located under the GoAnywhere installation folder) to the jre/lib/security folder (located under the JRE's installation directory).

For AIX platforms, copy the JCE policy files of US_export_policy.jar and local_policy.jar from the jce_policy_files/ibm folder (located under the GoAnywhere installation folder) to the jre/lib/security folder (located under the JRE's installation directory).

For IBM i, run the CPYPOLICY command as instructed in the IBM i section below.

Windows
The Windows installers for GoAnywhere MFT includes a bundled 1.7 JRE located in the [INSTALL_DIR]/jre folder. The installation of this JRE does not conflict with other versions of Java already installed on the system as Windows allows for multiple versions of Java to run side-by-side, and different applications can use different versions.

To run GoAnywhere MFT on a JRE other than the one in included with the installation:
1. Navigate to the GoAnywhere MFT install directory\tomcat\bin.
2. Launch [servicename]w.exe, where [servicename] is the name designated to the GoAnywhere MFT Windows Service during install. The default file name is ‘GoAnywherew.exe’.
3. On the Service Properties window, select the Java tab.
4. Browse to the jvm.dll file for the desired JRE, typically located in the [Java install directory]\jre\bin\server folder.
5. Click OK.
6. Restart the GoAnywhere MFT service.

Linux
The Linux installers for GoAnywhere MFT include a bundled 1.7 JRE located in the [INSTALL_DIR]/jre folder. The installation of this JRE does not conflict with other versions of Java already installed on the system as Linux allows for multiple versions of Java to run side-by-side, and different applications can use different versions.
To run GoAnywhere MFT on a JRE other than the one in included with the installation:

1. Set the JRE_HOME variable to a different Java path before starting GoAnywhere. For example: export JRE_HOME=/path/to/jre

NOTE: The variable will only be valid for the duration of the terminal session and will need to be set again on subsequent sessions. Alternatively, you can create a script in the GoAnywhere MFT installation directory (goanywhere_start.sh for example) that first runs the export command and then starts GoAnywhere MFT. For example:
export JRE_HOME=/usr/jdk/jdk1.7.0_80/jre
./goanywhere.sh start

Unix
The GoAnywhere installer will attempt to find a compatible JRE for the installation process. The steps for changing JAVA_HOME for Unix are the same as those for Linux.

macOS
When installing GoAnywhere on Mac OS X, you will be prompted to install the Java SE 7 runtime if you have not already done so. The steps for changing JAVA_HOME for Mac OS X are the same as those for Linux and Unix.

IBM i
Multiple versions of Java can be installed on a single IBM i system without conflict. To run GoAnywhere MFT on a different JRE:
1. Stop the GoAnywhere MFT subsystem by executing the IBM i command of ENDGA. The ENDGA command is located in the installation library, which is named GOANYWHERE by default. Wait until the GoAnywhere MFT subsystem is completely shut down before proceeding.
2. Run GOANYWHERE/CFGGA and select option 2 on Java Home and Java Version.
3. Change the Java Home value from /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk[current version number]/32bit to /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk[desired version number]/32bit and then press ENTER to save. (For a 64bit install, substitute ‘64’ for ‘32’ and do the same).
4. Change the Java Version value from the old version number to the updated version number then press ENTER to save.
5. Run GOANYWHERE/CPYPOLICY to copy the JCE unlimited strength policy files into the JVM used by GoAnywhere MFT.
6. Start the GoAnywhere MFT subsystem by executing the IBM i command of STRGA. The STRGA command is located in the installation library, which is named GOANYWHERE by default.
Philip Horn
Senior Support Analyst
e. [email protected]
p. 1-800-949-4696
w. GoAnywhere.com | HelpSystems.com
1 post Page 1 of 1