How to use PGP encrypt/decrypt with symmetric password

Post any question you may have in regards to GoAnywhere MFT and let our talented support staff and other users assist you.
If you need a quicker response, please create a support ticket via the customer portal my.goanywhere.com or contact our support team by email at [email protected].
2 posts Page 1 of 1

ericglenn

Post by ericglenn » Fri May 08, 2020 1:48 pm
I have a business case where I need to use a password instead of a certificate / passphrase for encryption / decryption.

Is it possible to specify symmetric encryption and decryption with GoAnywhere MFT using PGP?

Support_Mark

Post by Support_Mark » Mon May 18, 2020 2:59 pm
It is not possible with our PGP tools as PGP encryption and decryption requires the use of both symmetric and asymmetric encryption for full functionality and security. The only way to use PGP encryption/decryption with only a password is to use the Native Command Task and point this task to your command line option that encrypts/decrypts with a passphrase only.

There are a few options to encrypt a file with a password within MFT. First, you could zip the file with a passphrase; this would work for any file you wish to keep encrypted until the password is entered. Additionally, you could send a file via Secure Mail and require a password to be specified in order to open the file. Also, you could take use of our Encrypted Folders which automatically encrypt and decrypt any file uploaded or downloaded into these special folders from a GoAnywhere MFT installation. The files will not automatically decrypt if downloaded by a third-party client.
2 posts Page 1 of 1