Why is Internet Explorer displaying my password in plain text?

View some of the Frequently Asked Questions to our support staff. Included are some tips and tricks making this forum ideal for users getting started with GoAnywhere MFT. Note: Users can reply to existing topics but only our support staff can add new topics to this forum.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Support_Jake

Post by Support_Jake » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:19 pm
Question:
Why is Internet Explorer displaying my password in plain text?
MFT forum 1 pic.png
MFT forum 1 pic.png (7.25 KiB) Viewed 9296 times
Answer:
The GoAnywhere Administrator and Web Client interface's require a modern internet browser that supports HTML 5. The most popular browsers that we support are Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Safari. Please note that some HTML 5 advanced features such as drag and drop will not work in older versions of browsers.

The issue you are seeing is due to compatibility mode being used in IE. By default, the doc mode that IE uses when displaying a webpage in compatibility mode is IE 7, which does not offer support for HTML5. What we have done to address this is add a system property that will force compatibility mode to display our page using EDGE. Below are instructions for applying this system property to your current version.

Steps to resolve the issue:
1. Navigate to the installation directory for GoAnywhere MFT
2. Under the [install dir]/config folder, edit the system.properties file
3. Add the following 2 lines to the bottom of this file:
IECompatibility.adminClient=IE\=EDGE
IECompatibility.webClient=IE\=EDGE
4. Save the file, then restart the service for GoAnywhere for this change to take effect

This will allow users to use compatibility mode to view the page and it will behave as you expect in IE 11 or EDGE.

Now your password should appear like this!
MFT forum 2 pic.PNG
MFT forum 2 pic.PNG (7.27 KiB) Viewed 9296 times
Jacob Przybysz
Associate Support Manager
+1 402.944.4242 Image fortra.com

gvallejos

Post by gvallejos » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:55 pm
Hi Jake,
I did it in a customer, after the changes I restarted the service, but I still getting the same issue
Version: 5.7.5
GAMFT passwd issue.jpg
Thanks in advance!

Support_Jake

Post by Support_Jake » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:28 pm
Since the above changes did not work for your environment you will need to have the System Administrators disable "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security". This should resolve the issue and your password will not be displayed on screen.

This article from Microsoft may be outdated but it explains what enhanced security is and what it affects: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... experience

If disabling "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security" is not an option for your environment, you will need to use another HTML5 enabled browser to bypass the issue (Chrome, Firefox, Etc...)
Jacob Przybysz
Associate Support Manager
+1 402.944.4242 Image fortra.com
3 posts Page 1 of 1